Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Living Canvas: Preface


The Living Canvas is about a series of photographs I've taken over the last couple of years. Mostly it's sort of getting myself organised and looking categorically at what I've been capturing with the camera.

It's difficult to pinpoint when a love affairs really begins- this love affair with photography must have begun a long time ago but I always kept a shy distance, not even owning a camera of my own. Nonetheless, the silent tenacity of passion lay in waiting.

The true romance saw light and began to blossom when I lived in Bali. Making the choice to live in voluntary simplicity, my home was without internet access, TV or telephone. I found breathing space- and other passions found the latitude to grow.

Living through the camera lens, especially through the macro lens (my personal preference), textures, colours, shapes and shades took on a fascinating definition. Living on my edge of the universe, I began to live with more mindfullness, feasting on this opulence in the heavens that lay at my feet and in infinity above. The magic was in capturing an image, a moment in time and in it becoming an emotion, a feeling, a language.

Without doubt I am inspired and motivated by the beauty of what lies before me and the precious creativity of talented photographers. Seeing through the macro lens has also re-opened the world for me since age and the extended time at the computer have resulted in the inevitable hyperopia (far-sightedness). With the bleak post-Bali bombing aftermath when jobs disappeared overnight, my little foray into photography kept something on the plate with modest freelance projects in photography and design.

My camera and I are close constant companions sharing a rich relationship of new discoveries and improved sight!

The virtue of the camera is not the power it has to transform the photographer into an artist, but the impulse it gives him to keep on looking.-Brooks Anderson



1 comment: